Yesterday I watched an absolutely amazing video on the Chase Jarvis blog about business, creating and sustaining a brand, and general tactics in how to grow and properly run a photography business.
Here are some thoughts that I wrote down while watching:
- Don’t try to be better, try to be different.
- Don’t try to appeal to everyone.
- There is always someone better, communication matters more than technical ability.
- Research separates the good from the best. Find out what people want.
- Be real, don’t fool people.
- So important to disqualify. I’m not right for everyone, for the few people I’m right for, I do an extraordinary job. I’m here to find out what you want.
These thoughts are pretty powerful. They kept me up until about 2am last night because I couldn’t stop thinking about what they meant. Being different is so important. Nobody hires me because they want pictures that look just like their friend’s, they want images that make people say wow.
I’m trying my best to be an open book for you all with these blog posts. I want to be me, every bit of me, and I know that will put off some people, but I’m hoping that it really attracts those people that truly want to work with me. When there is an excitement from both sides, the images are truly epic. Thats what I’m after. 🙂
In other news, I have started building the portfolios that will feature on the new website! I plan on spending a large chunk of today working on that.
Don’t forget, there is less than 2 weeks to go in my January promotion, if you know for sure you are going to need photography this year, book now and save some cash!!
I hope you all have an amazing day!